Friday, January 4, 2013

Sewing Lesson

Granddaughters Kayla and Marissa are spending a couple of days visiting.  While here, they asked if I could show them how to sew.  I thought that sounded like a fun idea so they have been busy working every day on a small project.

I thought a baby-doll quilt would be fairly easy for beginners, so we got busy.  I spent the first hour or so just showing them how to work the sewing machine.  They caught on quickly and did really well.  I didn't want them using the rotary cutter (too scary), so I cut the strips of material for them after they picked out what they wanted from my scrap box.  We'll have to learn about cutting out patterns in another lesson!

Then they started sewing.



They each took turns and got their squares all sewn together fairly quickly.  I helped them pick material for the back of their quilts and then helped them cut a square of batting.  We worked on layering the quilt together, and then they each took a turn "quilting" their blanket.

They finished the quilting up tonight.  They're almost done!



Tomorrow is the last step, putting the binding on.  They are having great fun!  We all are!

I'll be sure to post the finished quilts for next time.

3 comments:

john415 said...

Wow Jan, they look really good... Professionals in the making there... Well done to them... The more skills in life the better eh Jan...

Happy New Year to everyone - love from over the pond... XXXj

Anonymous said...

OK NOW I HAVE A NEW PROBLEM, RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF YOUR SECOND PARAGRAPH, THERES A BIG SIGN COVERING IT THAT SAYS, THE CONNECTION WITH A BIG EXPLANATION POINT. IT KEEPS ME FROM READING IT. I CANT SEEM TO CONTROL THIS BLOG.

THE PICTURES OF THE GIRLS ARE CUTE, BUT YOU NEED ONE WITH KAYLA RESTING HER FOREHEAD ON THE MACHINE WHILE SEWING, THATS PRICELESS. SEEING HER REMINDS ME OF GOING TO THE EYE DR. AND LOOKING THRU THAT MACHINE.

FUN DAY FOR THE 3 OF YOU, THEY LL ALWAYS REMEMBER IT.....BFF

john415 said...

I keep meaning to say Jan, I do love your little cat clock on your blog... Kinda cute...I was going to say like me, but maybe not ha ha..

Sorry to hear that Marion has probs reading your blog... Maybe it's time to Format C and start again...

Love you all, XXXj