Sunday, January 13, 2013

A Southern Dinner Or, A Rainy Day Meal

Tonight I decided I wanted to make a southern dish.  At least I think it's a southern dish. The first time I ever tried it was many years ago when I spent some time living in Georgia. At the time it seemed to be quite a popular dish there.

I'm talking about the combination of pinto beans, cornbread, coleslaw and macaroni & cheese.  I know, they don't sound like they should all go together, but somehow, at least in my opinion and many southerners opinions, they make a really great meal.  I don't eat this "southern meal" very often, just once in awhile when I'm in the mood, southern comfort of a different kind!

One of the reasons that a big pot of beans sounded so good tonight, is the weather we are having.  For the past few days it's been cold, rainy, snowy and windy. Just the right weather for something warm simmering on the stove all day!

So am I the only one who decides to make meals based on the weather?  I've been told that by a few people, but I'm sure there must be others who have the same meal-planning system don't they?  Pasta salads, quiche, and fruits for hot summer days, and simmering soups and beans for cold winter days, right?

Well, even if I am the only one, I suspect I'll just keep right on planning my meals using the same system.  It just works for me!


Doesn't it just look like a good rainy-day meal?



1 comment:

Liz said...

No you are not the only one to base your meals on the weather, I do the same thing! Looks good to me :)