Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Moving On

I did some investigating and it looks like my "porch decoration" is a katydid.  I discovered that they are somewhat like a grasshopper and they make noise by rubbing their legs together, like crickets.  The noise is supposed to sound like they are saying "katydid."  So that's how they got their name.  I didn't hear the one on my front porch making any noise so I can't vouch for that!  They eat other little bugs, so I suppose that makes them helpful in the garden.  That's about all the information I found on them.  I do like their bright green color, though.

Meantime I have been finishing up my latest quilt.  I finally have it ready to go.  I really like the bright colors that it displays.  I enjoy just pulling out random material from my "scraps" bag and waiting to see how it turns out once the quilt is done.

Here is the finished product.


I decided to piece the back of this quilt because I didn't have enough material for a solid back.  Besides, I am enjoying putting some design into the back also!


This was just a random piecing with leftover material.  I wish I would have cut the black pieces a little more random, but they were already cut strips, all of the same size, so I used them.  Next time I won't use all the same size, but I don't think it looks too bad.

So now that I have this project finished it's time to start working on some Christmas projects.  Yes, Christmas is coming up already!  I have several ideas that I'm going to work on for the grandkids, and also some things in mind for the "adult kids."

I also have an embroidery machine just sitting and waiting for me to start using.  I have never used it and I want to start learning how it works!  I have a couple of Christmas projects in mind for it...if I can get it figured out!

So I probably won't be making any more "wonky" quilts for awhile...though they have been a favorite.   Time to move on to something new!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

katydid parker...remember her? BFF

Janis said...

I forgot all about that until you reminded me! Yes I do remember her.