Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Resident Question

So, is it rude to ask a person how tall they are?

I had a small procedure done today and the doctor was teaching / working with a young, nice-looking resident.  When they were done and I was ready to leave, the resident stood up to give me some instructions and I had to keep looking up higher and higher!  I hadn't seen him come into the room and this was the first look I had of him.

I had to ask the question!  So I nicely asked him how tall he was.  After he told me I didn't make the standard response, "You should be in basketball." That should count for something, right?

On the drive home I got to thinking that I might have asked a rude question. After all, I wouldn't ask a really obese person how much they weighed! Or ask someone with really big feet what size shoe they wore! (Well, maybe I would) Is the "tall" question just as rude?  I'm not sure.

I hope I didn't offend him with my question.  I asked it very nicely, and he answered very nicely. Though I think I did have a startled look on my face when I heard his answer!  I figure he's probably pretty used to it.  Maybe he gets tired of answering, though.  At any rate, I've decided I probably should do a little more thinking before I blurt out questions to a stranger!

And how tall was he?  6' 10"!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have thought it rude Jan, especially if he was tall, now, if he was a midget........ it might appear that you were taking the Mick...

Liz Dillard :) said...

I don't think it was rude, like you said he is probably used to it anyway. Dang that is tall!!!!

Anonymous said...

TAKING THE MICK?!!! JOHN PLEASE, SPEAK ENGLISH...HAHA
I LL TELL YOU WHATS RUDE, WHEN PEOPLE TELL YOU, OH YOURE HUSBAND IS SOOOO TALL AND THIN AND NICE LOOKING, AND YOURE, AH YOUrE AH WELL, YOURE NOT.
NOW THATS RUDE!!!!