Sunday, October 2, 2011

Fall Is Here!

It's hard to believe that it is already the beginning of October!  Where does time go?
Though we are still having some warm days here, the feeling of fall is in the air.  Usually it doesn't start to really cool down here until close to halloween. This year is different though, and it is already cooler than normal. I so like it!

I also noticed several days ago that there were a few leaves on our tree that were beginning to turn colors. Though we don't see much color here in the desert, we do have some, and I enjoy it.  I really love the fall colors.  It's time for me to bring out my fall decorations!

It's also time to go apple picking again.  Every year the four girls, their parents and I, all drive out to the local (sorta) apple orchards in Oak Glen, and spend the day picking apples and wandering through the town stores.  The girls really enjoy wandering through the groves and helping to find just the right apples.  The orchard also has small barn animals the girls can visit, a local bluegrass group playing music, and even a place where the girls can make their own apple cider!  The cider making takes a long time and they get really tired out!  It's always a really fun day for all of us.  We'll probably be heading there next weekend. I'll take pictures!

One fall project I have had in mind is to quilt a fall table runner. I have a pattern that I've had for awhile, so I'm going to get busy.  It has maple leaves and pumpkins on it.  I want to get started on it this week so I can enjoy it through the season.  The pattern isn't exactly the way I want it so I am gonna have to change it around a little bit.  We'll see how that goes!

I am also thinking about how quick Thanksgiving and Christmas will arrive now that fall is here.  So, I am going to get busy shopping... and sewing some of those games, purses, clothes, and other projects that I have sitting waiting for me!

Wish me luck!

3 comments:

john415 said...

Hi Jan Please, please don't mention Xmas yet! Not until a lot later anyway... Boy hasn't it come round quick again...More money to spend out ha ha..
It's been extra warm (the heat from Spain/Portugal) for the last few days (too hot) but today the temperature is back to normal..

The fall colours are going to be spectacular here this year, so they say.. The leaves have held on well so I think that will be the case... The leaves make good compost when they fall...
It's like being a kid again when I fetch the leaves in a wheelbarrow (or two)...
Enjoy your apples and do a pic of the runner when you get it finished... Love you, John XXX

john415 said...

It's a lot colder now Jan - I guess those leaves will start to fall soon... XXX

Janis said...

Hi John, It is a lot cooler here also. We have also had some rain, and very windy. Luckily, the forecast is for nicer weather this weekend, so our apple picking won't be rained out. Would love to see a picture or two of your fall colors.