Sunday, October 16, 2011

How Laundry Can Turn Out To Be Fun

It was a busy day today.  Jason, Tara, and Katie came over to visit in the early afternoon (also to do laundry!).  The girls went outside to play for awhile and that was the quiet time.

After about an hour, Jennifer brought over Kayla and Marissa so they could visit - and spend the night.  When all four of the girls get together, it isn't quiet anymore!  So while the girls were busy trying to decide what, and how, they were going to play, Jason and I decided to start getting dinner going.

We decided to make my version of chicken and rice.  It has lots of vegetables in it, so I started cooking while Jason cleaned and chopped the vegetables.  After we had that on the stove cooking Jason decided to use the rest of my apples from Oak Glen to make some "hand pies."

When Jason was little, he began learning how to bake.  He had an ulterior motive for this. He doesn't just bake anything, he likes the sweets! So of course, he was ready to make apple pies. Though to be fair, he does like to bake bread also.

These ones are ready to go into the oven.


In between our cooking and baking, Jason was still working on his laundry and I was refereeing the girls, who sometimes act too much like sisters!

Finally dinner was ready and we sat down to eat. Last night I had baked two loaves of sourdough bread and we all had some with the meal.  Everyone really enjoyed the chicken and rice, even Katie.  She told me it was her favorite dinner ever!  Pretty good for all the vegetables that were in it! I had also made some applesauce and we were going to have some of that, however, we decided that the pies and applesauce might be too much dessert.

Some of my homemade applesauce
After dinner, the girls decided to go into the spare bedroom and clean up all of their mess. Wow! All without being asked.  I don't know what brought that on, but I didn't complain! They did a very good job too!

So as a reward for all their efforts, Jason made some hot chocolate to go with the apple pies. They were happy.

The finished pies.


I should have taken a picture of the four of them sitting at the table with their pies and hot chocolate.  They looked so cute!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

SAVE A PIE FOR DEREK.....BUT NO MATTER HOW I BEG, THREATEN, OR CARRY ON, DONT LET ME INDULGE, OK MAYBE JUST ONE. WITH A LITTLE VANILLA ICE CREAM

john415 said...

Hi Jan, sorry to comment a bit late, but I have been tied up making a wardrobe unit... Less said the better so far ha ha..

Jan I love looking and drooling over your food, ha ha I wish I lived nearer to you... Mary, you are naughty even thinking of indulging - Ok then as it's getting nearer Christmas you can have one, ok then two.. ha ha......... Love you both XXX