Thursday, October 6, 2011

My Table Runner

I went digging through my material boxes and found some fall colors that would work well for a table runner.  While I was busy setting up my sewing area I left the box of material sitting open.  Five minutes later when I returned to get a few more things, I found a stowaway among my material.


I don't know why he thinks that he owns everything!  He wasn't interested in leaving that box either!

I finally got busy sewing.  I made the leaves and the pumpkins from a pattern out of an Eleanor Burns quilt book. They were made as individual blocks.  Here's a picture of the leaf block.


Next I made the pumpkin blocks.  Those stems weren't easy!


Kayla and Marissa said they should be orange because pumpkins aren't red!

After I finished making all of the leaf and pumpkin blocks I had to decide how to put the runner together as I didn't have a pattern for that part.

After adding some background strips to make all of the blocks the same size, I squared them all off and sewed them together in one long strip, added a rust color border and quilted the runner.  I didn't have enough of the rust color border (which was my first choice) to use as binding, so I found some green material that worked.  Actually, after it was finished, I thought the green binding helped to bring out the other colors.

I thought my table runner turned out fairly well.


I brought out all the rest of my fall decorations and set them out to go with the table runner.

Today it was windy, cool and rainy so now it really does feel like fall is here!

5 comments:

john415 said...

Wow, that was quick Jan - Looks nice as well... How did you do it that quick? I was expecting you to take longer than that... XXXX

Anonymous said...

wow you are so creative. the runner is beautiful. cute picture of nubs. i think he needs about 4 brothers and sisters. yes, the unthinkable has happened, the garage cat had another liter. all black just like her. guess shes celebrating halloween. i think the dad is from the first liter, they look like him. i had no idea, she just brought them out one day. i was so sick i just went back to bed and forgot them.
well, did i get off the subject, so glad youre enjoying fall and decorating, youre home is always festive during the holidays. the runner is lovely.
be glad to give you mamma and both liters nubs can have his own harem. marion

Janis said...

Thanks for the compliments guys. Eleanor Burns quilting books show how to make quilts a lot easier, John. I also didn't do much quilting on the runner, just around the leaves and pumpkins. I also quilted around the edge of the white backing. That was all I did, though, so it didn't take too long. I didn't think the runner needed that much quilting. Also, I do all machine quilting, so that is quicker.

john415 said...

Jan, I still say that it looks good, and even may I say professional.. Don't run yourself down by saying it was easy...

Are you sure you wouldn't like one of Marion's cats, I'm sure she would even deliver ha ha... Love you all XXX

Janis said...

John, thanks for the compliments. Since I do a lot of quilting, I just think this one was one of the easier ones maybe.

As for Marion's kittens...all I can say is, I warned her not to let them cats stay around!!! Ha ha. I have enough animals that I can't afford to take care of already. Someday Remmy alone is gonna put us in the poorhouse!