Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Apple Picking At Oak Glen

On Saturday we went apple picking.  Well, sort of.  It turned out that the weather had caused the apple crops to be sparse, so there weren't any apples left on the trees.  We weren't very happy about that.  The girls always look forward to finding the best apples to pick.

The day wasn't a loss, though.  We decided to go into the shopping area of the apple farm. They have a store with lots of goodies to buy, a food court, petting zoo, picnic grounds, and of course, the live bluegrass music.  I was hoping to insert an MP3 file of the music I recorded on my iphone.  I am having problems with getting it to work, so will have to forego that for now.  When I get it figured out, I will put the music on.  They were a fairly good group, however, my iphone recording wasn't that great so maybe its just as well that I can't get it to work!

The store did have some apples to buy, so we were able to get some for pies, applesauce, and whatever else we decide to cook up.

Besides spending time in the store we found a picnic table and had a nice lunch.  This wasn't an easy task, as the farm was very busy.  We have gone there for many years and this was the most crowded we have ever seen it.  After lunch, while enjoying the music, the girls spent time playing on the lawn.  Here are a few pictures.



Silly-face Katie!

And playing among the trees. Lots of people, as you can see.


And lastly, a picture of the bluegrass group in the middle of singing a song.


We did have a fun day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok, i know its really tara, but she looks just like jason, if you slicked her hair back, it would diffinitly be jason at that age. she has grown since i last saw her. if i live another 10 yrs, i ll get to see them all grown, and starting the next generation of hughes. where does the time go?! DONT FORGET DEREKS APPLE HAND PIE.

john415 said...

Hi Jan, sorry to hear about your apple crops being sparse over there... Here in the UK it's been the best year for apples for years...
I liked the pics of the kids...

Mary said that you had a recipe for the bread machine... I have made some nice bread on it so far, I find bread rolls are the easiest to make.. My daughter Ruth bought the machine a few years ago, I recently "found" it again....When you get time to send the recipe I would be grateful.. Talk to you soon, Love you XXX