Thursday, September 29, 2011

Pictures

I always enjoy taking pictures.  One thing that I have always been fascinated with is black and white photography.  I haven't really spent time working on the computer, editing the pictures I take.  I usually just import them from my camera and leave them.

I thought it might be fun to change some of my pictures over to black and white so I experimented with a couple of them just to see how they would turn out.


This is a picture taken on a stretch of beach in Oregon.  I thought it turned out really well.  I love the fog.  It makes the picture mysterious, and the black and white only adds to that effect.



This picture is one of the photos that I took from our hotel in Laughlin.  You may recognize it from my last posting.  I think converting it to black and white changes it quite a bit from the original.  It looks like it should be the cover on a book set in the 1950's!

I like that it is so easy with the digital cameras today that make it really easy to take interesting pictures, decide immediately if we like them and want to keep them, then put them on a computer and change them around to suit our needs, or wants.

I am thinking that I'm going to spend a little more time playing around with my pictures and enjoying the editing I can do.  I don't know a lot about how it works, but I think it will be fun to learn.  So much easier than during the days of 35mm!

In fact, it struck me awhile back that every time I take a picture of my grandkids they all immediately want to see the picture.  It never crosses their minds that they would ever have to wait to see how it turned out.  Wonderful technology!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, just when you think you know someone, you find out something new. i had no idea.
im not a fan of black and white pictures,but glad you enjoy it.
i do like old black and white movies, or as kayla and marrissa say grey movies.
didnt even know you liked photography. m

john415 said...

Hi Jan... you can't beat a B&W picture to represent a mood... Also a very close close up of a face is very good in B&W... When I stopped smoking donks years ago, I bought all the cameras and dark room equipment with the money saved.... I used to process and print (and enlarge)my own film, at the time it was cutting edge technology... Then along came colour slides.. Wow, when they came out of the developer tank for the first time and colour as well... Now we have the computer, I wish we had it back then.......... Lovely pics Jan, I like the foggy one.. Love you, John. PS what photo software are you using?

Janis said...

Hi John, I like the foggy one too. Actually, I just used my iphoto program that came with my computer to change it. I may look into something like photoshop, which I know nothing about. I don't know if I can get that software for my mac's though. Will have to see.