Saturday, September 29, 2012

Grandkids

I was thinking today about how nice it is that my grandkids are getting older.

Don't get me wrong, I did really love it when they were little.  They were so cute, so busy learning everything new to them.  I remember how, as toddlers, they would dance every time music came on, or how they loved to spend time just sitting and cuddling with me. One of my favorite memories is when Katie used to ask me to read her favorite book to her. She would sit in my lap so attentively while I read the book, then as the book appeared to be at the end, she would always call out, "epilog," because she knew that's what was on the next page.  Then I'd read her the actual real ending of the book!

It was all so much fun, and I really do miss those days.

However, I am also really enjoying this new phase of grandkids as they are growing and becoming so much more. It's so much fun having conversations with them now.  They tell me all about their days, and what they did in school with their friends, or how their ballet lessons went.  I've also come to expect Kayla's bedtime texts. She loves to tell me goodnight from her and Marissa before she goes to sleep.

What I like, is that I don't have to rely on their parents for communication with the grandkids.  They are old enough to get in touch with me themselves when they want.  I enjoy when I am busy working on my computer and I see that Tara and Katie are skyping me.  We have a nice long visit, sometimes without their parents even realizing.  They show me how they cleaned up their room, or their new clothes that they just got for school, or they tell me about what game they've been busy playing.  It's so much fun, and I remember when they were little and the only way I could be in touch with them was through their parents.

Now they are all growing up and becoming their own person, and yes, I do miss those little ones, but I also really enjoy who they are now.


2 comments:

john415 said...

Hi Jan, isn't technology wonderful, they couldn't have done all that with text and Skype a few years ago...

The nice thing with Grand kids is you have more time for them as well....

Keep writing Jan, love you XXXj

Anonymous said...

LOVELY, BEAUTIFUL THOUGHTS. THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN WITH ME, THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR PARENTS... AND MOST OF ALL FOR LETTING ME IN THE SISTERHOOD.
yeah lijabedonmarimisses!!!

BFF