Monday, May 28, 2012

A Night At The Movies & Memorial Day

Last night we decided to take the grandkids and their mom, and go to the drive-in movie. Yes they do still have them here!  Though it is out in the middle of nowhere - slightly past Barstow.  Anyway, the movie wasn't supposed to start until 8:30 because it had to get dark, so we didn't head that way until about 7:30.

I didn't really expect a drive-in out in the middle of nowhere to have much of a crowd. Surprise! There was a long line of cars waiting when we drove up!  We ended up waiting in a slow-moving line for about 25 minutes.

By the time we got into the theater and parked, the movie still hadn't started because it wasn't quite dark, so we didn't miss anything.  Besides, when they did start the movie, of course there were 20 minutes worth of commercials - so we really could have been even later!

We brought chairs, blankets, drinks, and snacks, so we were all set.  We expected the girls to sit outside with their mom, but when we got there and I got out of the car to help set things up, the girls climbed into the drivers seat together and settled in to watch the movie!  I guess that meant I was supposed to sit outside with their mom!  Oh well, it was a very nice night out, so I got a blanket and some snacks and settled into the chair to watch the movie!

An outside view of Men in Black 3
I'm not what anyone would call a "movie person" and I don't usually consider going to see many movies, let alone this one, however, it was a fun time with the girls (they did come outside and sit after awhile), and it was something different.  We all enjoyed the outing. Didn't get back home until really late, though.

So today is Memorial Day and we just had a quiet day.  I did some gardening and we barbequed some salmon this afternoon for our dinner.

Remember - Memorial Day 


2 comments:

john415 said...

Hi Jan, I don't think that we have any drive in movies over here - Like you though I'm not a movie viewer of substance.... Matthew lent me a box set of Band of Brothers on Blueray, I still haven't seen them (he'll be asking questions on them soon ha ha)
Anyway, it sounds like a great night out with the girls...
Before I go, I hope everyone over there is going good, and health is improving for all....

Before I go, who's birthday is coming up shortly? I wonder? I hadn't realised that Linda's Birthday is the day after....

Anyway, love to you all.. Keep on writing, XXXj

Janis said...

Hi John,
Yes we used to have a lot more drive-in movie theaters, however, they are slowly disappearing. Going to the drive-in used to be the thing to do when I was a teen! It is kind of unusual that Linda and I have birthday's one day apart - three years difference in age, though. We should get together and celebrate every year, but unfortunately we live too far away for that to happen. It would be nice, though.