Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Hazards Of Crock Pot Dinners

We had a quiet Sunday planned for today.  After going to church I stopped in at the store for a few groceries then headed home to put some dinner in the crock pot.  Marion just bought her own crock pot and had been asking me about some recipes to use, and somehow this got me busy thinking about a crock pot meal of my own!

So today after church Marion, Derek, and Lester were coming over to spend some time visiting, and I was going to make some beef stew because it was cold and windy outside, and this sounded like just the right meal for my crock pot dinner.

I got everything together and started the crock pot about the same time Marion and family showed up.

Since I guess today was some sort of special football day, we had the television on watching the game - games?  Well, some were watching it!  Anyway, as the crock pot continued to work towards simmering the meal, we decided to play some card games.

We played a couple of different games and when 4:00 rolled around I realized that the meal in the crock pot still hadn't even begun to simmer.  It was close, but just kept taking its time!  At about 4:15 it still wasn't simmering and I decided I'd better take some action if we wanted to eat sometime before midnight!

Soooo, I took all of the stew out of the crock pot and put it into a large pot and began cooking it on the stove, where it almost immediately began to simmer and smell delicious.

We eventually had dinner at about 6:00.  We had the beef stew and some french bread, and it was really good.  It just wasn't the crock pot meal that I had planned it to be!

So I guess the moral to this story is; if you're going to plan a crock pot dinner it's best if you put it on to cook early (like before church) rather than waiting till later in the day.  After all these years you'd think I would have known that!

Tomorrow night we're having crock pot chili!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

absolutely the best beef stew ive ever had, it should have a patten on it, dont know when ive enjoyed anything more. this a m i gained 7 pounds, i must have eaten way to much, also i ate to much french bread but man, was it good!!!!
just the right amount of ingredients and cooking time, and red wine, and bay leaf...sooo good
hey, did you say something about chilli? HAHA
M

Anonymous said...

Hi Jan, we too had a crock pot dinner the other day as it was cold.. We had pork chops in tomato soup with all the vegetables and of course a dumpling each - boy was it nice... I can empathize with you on your crock pot... As Marion says though, it's not good for the figure, but it's worth it ha ha...

Love you all - XXXj PS don't let Marion eat too much Chilli.... ha ha...

Anonymous said...

By the way Jan, I can't post a comment with the Google account anymore as it won't put a Word up for me to verify that I am human (perhaps I'm not human ha ha)... I will have to stick to the anonymous profile - I will have to put John at the end so that you know who is commenting... Love you all... XXX John UK