Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Fish Quilt

I finished the quilt and, as promised, I have pictures to post.

I have made several of these quilts and I always forget that they are more time consuming than others.  The main reason is that there are many small pieces that have to be cut individually, and then sewn in an unusual way.  I can't really explain how they are sewn but will just say that lots of pinning is involved because the material doesn't like to cooperate and become the shape it has to end up.  Does that make sense?

Anyway, I really love this quilt.  It always turns out so cute!  I got the pattern about 15 years ago while taking a quilting class at the community college.  It came from a lady whose name I don't even remember, so I can't even give her credit.

I chose lots of bright colors for this one and it really came out nice.  Here is the finished product.



The picture above isn't as closeup as the first one, but it shows how bright the colors are. Below is a closeup of the fish.


I also decided to make the quilt backing by piecing some panels together.  I thought it turned out okay but decided I will change the design a little bit for next time.  I don't really like the big wide stripe down the middle.


And a picture showing the brighter backing colors.


Even though this quilt takes lots of time to put together I really have fun making it and watching it come together.  It makes a really nice throw to sit under to stay cozy and warm on a cold rainy day.

You'd think I would be tired of sewing for awhile, however, I am in the sewing mode and looking for another project to start on.

Time to search through my patterns!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I THINK YOU SHOULD HAVE SHOWN A PICTURE OF THE LAST FISH QUILT YOU MADE STEVE, SHOW WHAT HAPPENS AFTER HE USES IT FOR 15 YRS AND IT GETS WASHED A 1000 TIMES, THEN MR REMMY INHERITS IT.

YOU ARE SOOO TALENTED!!!!! its very cute m

Anonymous said...

It's a lovely quilt Jan - you are so clever... Wish you lived next door... John XXX

Anonymous said...

I don't know if my last comment went through as my internet connection disconnected... Just to repeat, I basically said that it was beautiful and I wished you lived next door... John xxx

Nancy Quilts said...

I love this pattern and you did a wonderful job. Love the colors. I am looking for a fish pattern to make for my Great Granddaughter and this is perfect. I was wondering if I could have a copy, I would be happy to reimburse you.
Thanks...Nancy

Janis said...

Nancy, thank you for the compliment. The pattern was given to me many years ago when I was taking a quilting class. I would be glad to send a copy of the pattern to you. I don't see an email address for you, though. If you would like to give me your email address, then I can arrange to mail the pattern to you. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks again. Janis