Sunday, January 29, 2012

Chicken Broth - Or Is It Stock?

I've heard that Costco rotisserie chickens were great for making chicken broth but didn't really know what the process involved.  I just happened to have finished the last bit of a Costco chicken, so thought I would try my hand at making some of that homemade broth.

I got out a large pot and put all of the chicken carcass in, including all the skin that was left.  I threw in a couple of, past their prime, carrots and celery, a leek and a half of an onion.  Then I added some peppercorns, salt, dried parsley and thyme...I think that was about it.  I filled the pot up to about 3/4 of the way with water and put it on a low fire. After just a short time it began to smell really good - even if it didn't look all that great.



I let it simmer on the stove for an hour then took a taste.  It was good and tasted like chicken broth, but I thought it could stand some more flavor so I let it continue to simmer. In the meantime I was busy reading a good mystery... didn't have to spend time in the kitchen standing over the process.  That's always good.

I let the broth simmer for another 45 minutes then tasted it again.  It was really good and I couldn't see that anymore cooking time would improve on it, so I took it off of the stove.

After letting the broth cool for a little bit I scooped out as much of the carcass and vegetables as I could with a slotted spoon, then poured the broth into a bowl using a mesh strainer to catch all the rest of the pieces.


I let the broth sit in the bowl to cool down.

Once the broth had cooled down enough I poured it into two ziploc bags.  Each bag held about 3 cups of broth.  Then I labeled the bags and put them into the freezer.

The finished product
I wouldn't usually consider making my own broth however, as far as I'm concerned, the Costco chicken makes a really great broth.  It has a lot more flavor than some of the canned broths I have used, and I am sure it probably has much less sodium.  I don't have to spend hours making it either, as it pretty much makes itself.

Since I buy Costco's rotisserie chickens fairly regularly I am sure I will be making more of this broth.

Good Good!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOULD LOVE A BIG BOWL OF HOMEMADE CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP, TRY MAKING YOUR OWN NOODLES WITH YOUR KITCHEN AIDE, I LL PAY FOR THE INGREDIENTS, SOUNDS DELICIOUS!!!! m

Anonymous said...

Jan, Marion said to try this... Cut in half and cook some parsnips until soft.. Then I get a handful of self raising flour, Grate a good portion of cheese onto it... Give it a good rub together to mix and make it finer... Pour some olive oil onto a plate, then roll the cooked parsnips in it, then load as much cheese and flour that you can stick on to the parsnips... Put in an oven on a tray with oil, and bake for 1/2 hour, basting occasionally ... Not too hot, to stop it burning... Goes well with Chicken - You can do the same thing for carrots... Mmmmm

Love John XXX

Janis said...

Homemade noodles with the chicken soup does sound good. I've been meaning to make some, just haven't yet. I would have to roll out the noodles with a rolling pin though, as I don't have a pasta maker for my Kitchen Aid. I would like to get one but they are pricey! One of these days.

Janis said...

Thanks for the recipe John. When I get that chicken noodle soup put together for me and Marion I'll add some of the baked vegetables with it!