Wednesday, August 17, 2011

This And That

Thank you everyone for the well-wishes and congrats.  It was a long haul, but I did enjoy it.

I have been busy reading for fun over the last week - since I don't have to read a textbook now!  I went to the library and checked out six books, and have them all read except for one.  I can spend hours reading for fun!  Right now I am thinking about reading some of the classics; Jane Eyre, To Kill A Mockingbird, Grapes of Wrath, etc.  Anyway, I have been neglecting my posts because of it.

There has been a few things going on.  I have had Kayla and Marissa a few times this week while their mom has doctor appointments.  They keep me busy.  I did get some updates from them about their new school.  Kayla likes it a lot.  Marissa likes the after school activities they are in, however, she isn't as happy with the rest of the day.  She likes her teachers - she has two.  For some reason she just doesn't like the school much.  I can't get an answer why,  she just says, nnyaa!  Will have to work on that!

Tara really seems to like her school.  She tells me that her teacher says they can do whatever they want as long as it is in their academics!  I am not sure what that means but I think it means they have a curriculum for the day, or week, and as long as they complete that, it doesn't matter in what order.

At any rate, they all seem to be adjusting, and hopefully Marissa will "come around," or will tell us why not.

One project I have been working on is a baby quilt.  Just nine blocks made from scrap materials.  I tried to match the colors but I had to go somewhat off the track.  Sometimes, though, really opposite colors turn out to be some of the best quilts.  I would put up a picture but right now it wouldn't look like much.  I'll be sure and post it when I am done.

Another project I am going to start on is a quilted checkers game.  I got the pattern while Laura and I were on the quilt run, and it is soooo cute!  Not only do you make the board but you make the checkers also.  I'm going to make it for grandson Odin's birthday.

Meantime, I can't believe September is almost here!  Now I have to get busy on some fall quilts.  My favorite!

I did make some stuffed - sorta - bell peppers from off of the one bell pepper plant we have. This is how they looked just starting out.


I cut them into rings to stuff, then cooked them on the stovetop.  It's a lot quicker and easier.


I topped them with diced tomatoes from our vines.  It was really good.  Kayla and Marissa were here that night and they really liked them.

I think I'll keep the recipe!


3 comments:

john415 said...

The peppers look lovely and tasty... Are they just filled with minced meat or are there any other ingredients mixed with it (ignoring the tomatoes)?
I will have a go as I said in the E-mail next week, my peppers ought to be nice and red then... If you have an actual recipe for the stuffing it would be appreciated Jan... I hope it's simple though as I am the cook ha ha..... See you... XXX

Anonymous said...

Glad the kids seemed to be doing ok in school. Did you find the books I was telling you about? I too have been doing a lot of reading lately when I get the tiem. Usually at night. Your
Your pepper dish looks really yummy! Even if I don't eat meat! We have been enjoying our veggies too.
The idea for the checkers game sounds really cute. I guess I'll have to dig out my crocheting and knitting for fall. Can't believe it's almost here!
Glad you are enjoying having a little more time for yourself! Love Ya! Linda

Anonymous said...

LIKE BOTH QUILTS, BUT THINK YOU SHOULD ALSO MAKE SUNBONNET SUE. I KNOW SHE WILL USE THEM ALL, ITS COLD COLD COLD IN COLORADO, AND I LL BET THAT BABYS GOING TO BE OUTSIDE A LOT.

THE HAMBURGER LOOKS GOOD, BUT THE ANDERSONS ARE NOW STRICT VEGETARIANS, NO MEAT OR DAIRY IS COMMING THRU THE DOOR.

THE PHONE JUST RANG, IT WAS YOU...LETS GO PICK UP MR CLOTS. ANNONOMOUS MARION