Monday, August 1, 2011

Sleepover

Saturday night Katie and Tara had a sleepover with Grandna - as they sweetly call me. It's a long story!  Anyway, they arrived here at about 3 o'clock Saturday and were all excited to be spending the night.  I was busy getting ready to make dinner and they wanted to help out. So we went outside and they helped me bring in a few ingredients that were going to be used.

We picked fresh bell peppers and herbs.


While we were outside Katie and Tara wanted to help water some of the plants.  They were so helpful and did a good job.



Katie even thought the empty barrel was a little thirsty!


After all of the garden chores were finished we went back inside to continue working on dinner.  The girls wanted to watch a movie while I was busy at the stove.

I tried a new recipe for dinner rolls that looked good and it had been busy rising... Looks about ready to go into the oven.


I put the rolls in to bake and they only took about 20 minutes until they were perfectly browned.  Everyone really enjoyed them and I have enough left over for the rest of the week.


After we finished up dinner Tara and I spent time reading and Katie was busy coloring.  It is her favorite pastime.  We were so involved that it got late and we all ended up getting to bed later than we should have.

Very early in the morning we had a terrific thunderstorm with lots of rain.  It brought out the smell of sage and would have been really enjoyable except for poor Schultz who is scared to death of thunder.  It wasn't even light out when he jumped in the middle of the bed shaking, tongue hanging out, and drooling everywhere!  I tried my best to calm him down but he just isn't interested in anything once the noise starts.

There was no way I was gonna get back to sleep now!  So I just kept telling Schultz it would be okay - for all the good that does!  I'm going to invest in a thunder shirt!  It is supposed to work well for dogs who are afraid of loud noises and I hope it will help.  I'll let everyone know how that turns out.

So after our short night we were all a little cranky... Katie wears that title especially well sometimes!

We did get through the day fairly well intact, though, and the girls headed for home with their dad in the late afternoon.

 All-in-all, it was a fun sleepover!

9 comments:

john415 said...

What's a thunder shirt Jan - I've not come across this in the UK before - Our old dog used to be scared of storms and would know several hours before it got there, she would hide under the furniture and shake all over....
That food looked good again - I bet the kids enjoyed it didn't they, especially after all that watering... Love you XXX

john415 said...

Jan am I the only member for your afternoon tea blog, has Mary stopped altogether now? I know that she has stopped using her own mail address and is using Derek's... Anyway Jan, I still love reading your pages - keep 'em coming... XXX

Janis said...

John, a thunder shirt is supposed to wrap snuggly around the dog and somehow it keeps them calm. I think they are fairly new. I haven't had one, so not sure if it will work, but am going to try. They have a money back guarantee if they don't work.

I think Marion is no longer a follower because she got rid of her google account. I know she does still read the blog, though. Linda reads it also, however she told me she can't get the comments to post. I don't know if there is a trick to it or not. Maybe you can advise her. Maybe she has to become a follower and it will work better.

Thanks for the encouragement, I will work to keep the postings going. Right now I am trying to finish up my last week of school, so I am a little lax on the blog posts!

Anonymous said...

jan, the rolls were delious...this is a strange way to contact john, but here goes.
john ive left you messages on skype, i cant get into dereks email, he put some password on there i cant figure out. hes in the hospital with heart problems, will prob get a pacemaker.
i will skype you again and when all settles down i ll have jan help me get email acct for you, linda and jan only. thats all i can handle. miss you.
hello linda, miss you also.
sorry jan, for using your blog for email, will get my own again and try to do better. love to all.

Anonymous said...

jan, your homemade broccoli soup was outstanding, had it with the last roll, lucky, lester left me any.... you are a gourmet cook. love it love it love it.

john415 said...

Thanks for the info on the thunder shirt... I hope it works well if you get one - let me know as I'm interested...
Thanks Jan, for the go between for Mary and I - we are now back in contact again... Thanks for helping her get going again.. Love to you all. XXX

john415 said...

I can't help Linda really as I don't know how I managed it in the first place.. I started a Google account in the "comment as" profile box, then all of a sudden I was on your blog... ha ha, the blind leading the blind...

Carol-Anne said...

Those rolls look amazing! I see you are a big reader, like me. Keep checking my Fiction Friday posts....I'd love for you to do a Guest Review for me one day!

Thanks for checking in at http://usethegooddishes.blogspot.com/

Janis said...

Hi Carol-Anne,

Thanks for visiting my blog and becoming a follower. Yes I am a major reader. I love a good book. I will keep watch on your Fiction Friday posts. A Guest Review might be fun.