Sunday, February 12, 2012

I'm Just Sayin

I was talking on the phone last night to Marion, trying to explain to her what our new vehicle looked like.  I couldn't explain it well enough so I got up, walked outside and took a picture, then came back in and uploaded it to my computer and forwarded the picture to her email.  I did all this while I was still talking to her on the phone.  I told her I had sent the picture and she looked at her email and said, "Oh yeah, I've seen them before."

I have a reason for telling this story.

After I got through talking to Marion I was thinking about how I had sent her the picture and she didn't have to wait at all.  Then I was thinking about how 20 - 25 years ago it would have been such a different story.  In fact, 20 years ago, I don't think I would have been able to even imagine how this transfer could have happened.

I remember as a child going to Disneyland and seeing all the futuristic information in Tomorrowland.  I remember the phones where we could call friends and it was on a speakerphone so everyone could talk and hear.  I also remember the posters informing us that someday people would be able to call and see who they were talking to.  It just didn't seem possible at the time!

Now that future is here and I gotta say, there are too many people spending all their time in front of a screen of some sort.  They are either texting, (and driving) playing video games, watching a movie on their phone or ipad, or working at any number of other electronic activities that I don't even know about yet.  So many people don't spend enough time with other people because of all these gadgets.  I do think this is sad, and I do hope that people learn how to balance their lives and their technology.

On the other hand.

I also think that the internet, computers, digital cameras, cell phones, Skype, twitter, and others I don't even know about;  these are some of the greatest things out there!  I love that I can send messages whenever I need to, to anyplace, and get an immediate response.  I love that I can take pictures and see the results immediately, and that I can either delete them or "fix" them on my computer if I don't like what I see.   I love that I can watch a season of "Frasier" on my phone while waiting for hours in the doctors office.  I love that I can call my grandkids in another state and get to see them while I'm talking to them.

I wouldn't want to change any of it.  I can't imagine not having it.  I wouldn't want to be without it.

Remember the "Jetsons?"  I think we're just about there aren't we?  In fact, today I think the "Jetsons" would be outdated!  Well, we still don't fly around in our vehicles. Yet!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i remember my grandparents having a heated argument over wether or not a man could go to the moon. he said someday it would happen, she called him a fool and said he was already over the moon. he died in 1963 she died in 1974 think of all the things they missed, think of all the things we re gonna miss, maybe time machines or people movers like on star trek. m

Anonymous said...

Jan, you're right on the button with technology... It wasn't too long ago when just to send an E-mail took ages without broadband..Never mind sending pictures... Love the new truck - It would be no good over here though as we would never be able to afford to put the gas in to start it ha ha....
Marion, I think you will find we have already made a transporter (beam me up Scotty), but it's no good as it kills anything that's transported - (I think must do better was in the report ha ha)...
As you say Jan everything in moderation and balance...
Enjoy your trip to Utah........ Love from over the pond XXXj