Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Hot Dog Stand

In my travels to L.A. the past few days, I decided to stop in at the famous Pink's hot dog stand.  I was very close after all, and several family members had been telling me how great their hot dogs were.  They informed me that I just had to try one.  I honestly have to say here, that I had never heard of Pink's before son Jason, and a few other family members, told me about it.  They have been around for 71 years, and are quite a famous landmark in L.A.  Jason and family have eaten there many times.  Maybe I need to get out more?

So while Tara was recovering from her surgery, a few of us headed for Pink's.  It was lunchtime, but the crowds that I had heard about weren't there.  We did have to wait about 15 minutes before ordering, however, that was mild according to others.  I ordered my hot dog the way I usually like them, which is with mustard and relish.

Pink's is a small building with a few tables inside, and a few more tables outside.  We were able to get a table inside quite easily.  While we ate our hot dogs, I spent time looking at the walls filled with autographed pictures of famous people who have eaten there.  There were lots of them, from Jay Leno, to Tim McGraw. (These were the only two I remembered seeing, though I know there were more!)

While I was there I decided to pick up a pink - of course, menu to keep.  I didn't bother to read it, just stuck it in my purse.  I am thinking of spending some time scrapbooking this summer and thought it would make a great memento.

So after everything I had heard about Pink's I have to say "it was a hot dog for lunch." Sorry, just my take on it!

Of course later, after reading the menu slogan and talking to others, I learned that Pink's is famous for their chili dogs.  Maybe that's what I should have ordered!

5 comments:

john415 said...

Hi Jan, I could just taste those hot dogs... Never had Chilli dogs.. We miss everything here ha ha.
I'm glad that Tara is recovering from her op. - I hope the end result is good. Give her a kiss from us XX... I look at your afternoon tea page every day.. very interesting Jan... Lots of love XXX

Janis said...

Hi John, hope you are enjoying the posts. Chili dogs are an American pastime here. You'll have to try one sometime. Tara is a brave little girl. We hope the surgeries will end soon. I will let her know you are thinking of her.
Jan

john415 said...

Hi Jan I went to Pinks web site - If you haven't the link is as follows:-
http://www.pinkshollywood.com/pgz/greeting.htm

Here in the UK they are smaller, all hot and no dog!

john415 said...

I'd love to try one Jan, but I'm diabetic and I bet the chili has sugar in it..... Blow...

Janis said...

Yes John, I did go to Pink's website, quite interesting. So you got to see what the building looks like. It is small for being so famous. Too bad you can't try chili, though.