Monday, June 3, 2013

Mr Yi's Flowers

Last Wednesday when I went to my volunteer receptionist job at the church I was looking at the flowers that were planted in the boxes by the front entrance.  They were all blooming so nice and looking so pretty, I just had to take a couple pictures of them.  There's also a large rose garden in the side yard which I should have taken a picture of, but didn't.  I'll have to get that picture another time!




While I was taking the pictures I got to thinking about who planted them, and the roses, and spends many hours taking care of them.

The gardener who is responsible for all of the flowers is the church custodian, Mr. Yi.  Now it may not seem like such a big thing that Mr. Yi takes care of all the gardening, or keeps the property and buildings all cleaned up and working.  You might not be surprised to hear that Mr. Yi also sets up the rooms when they are needed for meetings, services, weddings, or anything else that may be happening during the course of the week.  You probably figured that's what a custodian's job is, right?  Well that is true, and Mr. Yi comes in to work every day and does all of these jobs, rain or shine.

As his name implies, Mr. Yi is Korean.  He does speak english but sometimes it's very hard to communicate with him.  No matter what the conversation though, he always calls you "ma'am" or "sir."

I'll bet you're wondering where all of this is going!  Just a little extra information about Mr. Yi the custodian / gardener.  He just happens to be 92!

I don't think the word retirement is in his vocabulary!


1 comment:

john415 said...

Hi Jan, ha, really it's all the unsung heroes that do all the work eh?... Those flowers look very nice, perhaps it's a good thing if he doesn't retire.... Look forward to seeing the roses.. XXXj